DAWN TO DUSK CHENNAI MARATHON 2018
7 JANUARY 2018
IN AID OF ADYAR CANCER INSTITUTE (WIA) FOR THE TREATMENT OF CANCER AFFECTED CHILDREN
D2D is an initiative by like-minded souls who have come forward to bring awareness on the worthy causes and to raise funds mainly for the underprivileged children through the event of D2D. D2D has also inspired many runners to run for a cause at different times for the underprivileged children and many charitable organizations. Through running and cycling activities, D2D has found numberless ways to help the less privileged children and has inspired thousands of veteran and first-time runners to run for a cause.
The primary objective of D2D 2018 event was to raise awareness and raise funds for cancer affected children through Adyar Cancer Institute (WIA), which provides treatment and support facilities to aid children and adults affected by cancer.
- Covered a total distance of 219.1 Km (53.1 Km of running followed by 166 Km cycling) with running and cycling team-mates in a 12 hour period.
- Raised INR 40,00,000/- (Rupees forty lacs only) for Adyar Cancer Institute (WIA), Chennai.
- Dawn to Dusk Marathon 2018 was held on Sunday, 7th January 2018. It was a 12 hour event and the turnout for the event was good with many families taking part supporting the cause.
- Approximately about 4026 participants including Children below 16 years – 450 children, we had about 2214 men and about 980 women taking part in the running event. We had about 382 Men & Women taking part in cycling event in various distances.
Dawn to Dusk Marathon 2018 was flagged-off at 5.20 am at Anna University Campus by the following Chief guests:
- Dr. V.Shanta, Chairman, Adyar Cancer Institute (WIA)
- Dr. E.Hemanth Raj, Executive Vice-Chairman, Adyar Cancer Institute (WIA)
- Mr. Arvind Swami, Actor & Brand Ambassador – Dawn to Dusk
- Dr. C.Sylendra Babu IPS, ADGP, Railways, Tamil Nadu & Brand Ambassador – Dawn to Dusk
- Mr. Jithendra Vummidi, Managing Director, Vummidi Bangaru Jewellers
- Mr. Shahid Kandrikar, President, Chennai Runners
- Mr. V.P.Senthil Kumar, Past Race Director, Chennai Runners
- Dr. Kannan Pugazhendi, Director, Sparrc Institute & Brand Ambassador of D2D Marathon
- Mr. K.R.Chandrasekaran, President, TI Cycles of India
- Mr. Srinath Rajam, Director, TVS Group
- Prof. Dr.S.Selladurai, Additional Registrar, Anna University
With the funds raised from Dawn to Dusk Marathon 2018, Adyar Cancer Institute will be able to provide treatment to the cancer affected children and also will be able to build a children ward. It was good to be associated with Dr. V.Shanta, Chairman, Adyar Cancer Institute (WIA) and Dr. E.Hemanth Raj, Executive Vice-Chairman, Adyar Cancer Institute (WIA). It was also good to be interacting with Dr. V. Surendran, Asst. Prof. & Head i/c, Department of Psycho-oncology and his team member at Adyar Cancer Institute (WIA).
D2D has been associating with Chennai Runners, Dream Runners and Cool Runners and Chennai Trekking Club since its inception in 2012 and have supported D2D for the last 6 editions. The entire community has shown large support to the event and these are highly motivating and enthusiastic running groups creating awareness to stay healthy through the sport of running. These running groups have motivated and inspired thousands of good souls to keep fit and healthy!!
My heartfelt thanks to all the sponsors, donor and partners, Chennai Runners, Dream Runners, Cool Runners, Chennai Trekking Club, Chennai Volunteers and many other individual running friends supported this memorable event, I am very grateful for their support and assistance. The D2D Cycling event was supported by Tamil Nadu Cycling Club (TCC), TI Cycles along with CICLO café.
Both these Running and Cycling groups have been supporting D2D for the last 6 editions from the time of inception.
I am also grateful and wish to thank my Race Directors for running event Mr. Shankar Lal Patel, Chennai Runner and Race Directors Mr. Venkatraman Venkatadri & Mr. Vasanth Ramaswamy of Tamilnadu Cycling Club and the members Mr. Samir Singla, Mr. Rajaram Pattabiraman for their continuous support. My special thanks to Mr. Vikram Cotah, COO, GRT Hotels and Brand Ambassador of D2D who has been supporting us for the last 6 editions.
Also, wish to thank Ms. Rinku Mecheri and her team from Chennai Volunteers for always being there to support the D2D event. I would like to mention special thanks to Ms. Gunit Singla who has been supporting us from the time of inception last 6 editions.